Re: Joints in retaining walls

I have another question regarding control joints in a retaining wall.

For a regular wall we would show a V-groove control joint w/ sealant and have the reinforcement continuous thru the joint.

For a retaining wall, this detail would would seem to apply, but I'm worried that water would enter once the sealant has deteriorated. I'm proposing a construction joint detail that looks more like an expansion joint detail in that the reinforcing is stopped 6" short of the joint and epoxy coated dowels are used across the joint. Does this seem excessive? How do others handle the reinforcing thru the control joints of a retaining wall?

Thanks.
Your following message has been delivered to the list
 seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org at 11:04:55 on 21 Mar 2006.

For a cantilevered concrete retaining wall I've been told to place joints in a long retaining wall 20'-0" o.c., maximum, with every 4th joint to be an expansion joint w/ some sort of compressible fill material. This is supposedly a 'rule of thumb' type of specification.

I, however, can not find a documented reference. Does anyone know where this originated?

Thanks, again.

Alden