From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent:
Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:03 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential Architectural Requirements

Can a non-licensed drafter, do/prepare the architectural plans for a 3 story home in California, that is not of wood frame construction (and thus not conventional construction) if they have a separate set of structural plans designed and signed by yours truly? I did all the STRUCTURAL drawings and calcs, it’s not a plan stamping issue for me.

My understanding is NO. The architectural drawings in the package must be stamped by an architect. A separate set of structural drawings doesn’t let you get around this requirement, even if it’s wood framed and non-conventional construction.

I have no intention of stamping a drafter’s architectural plans, so don’t let me confuse anyone, because I know I “could” prepare those plans and stamp them since I have an SE license, but these plans were not prepared under my direct supervision nor do I claim to have the experience/training necessary to perform architecture on this type of structure.

TIA,

-gm