Re: Structureless roofs

It's an interesting system, assuming that the lateral and thrust loads are accounted for under your loading conditions (I didn't see any photos of snowcovered installations). It is the same issue we deal with for most "advanced" systems - the redundancy of a primary structure has been removed to save time and material. Cost savings tend to be very small, with the developer pocketing the difference in material cost.

I have run across several better structural mouse traps, and my response is usually the same: If everything goes just as planned, and you never have to make any changes to it (cut holes, add new loads, reconfigure the space) you may come out slightly ahead. The first problem you have will likely cost you more than if you had used a traditional method - sometimes significantly so.

That said, I rarely even offer to compete with a pre-engineered system. I've gotten tired of justifying my fee when compared to the system where there is no engineering fee at all (which is billed separate from the material).

Jordan

John J. Treff wrote:

Hi all,
I am all in favor of fair competition but also in favor of comparing "apples to apples". One of my designs is competing against this type of structureless roofs:

http://www.arcotecho.com.mx/
http://www.techossinestructura.com/

Can anyone think and share any technical arguments of why a traditional building with roof trusses or portal frames would be advantageous over this type of roofs?

Thank you,

JJ