Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: Deflection Criteria[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Re: Deflection Criteria
- From: "Jim Carey" <jimcarey(--nospam--at)jgsteel.com>
- Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:26:15 -0600
The justification I have always subscribed to for using 2x the cantilever length over 240 (or other ratio) for deflection evaluation is a curvature criterion. Under uniform load, a deflected, fixed end cantilever will have the same shape as half of a uniformly loaded simple span beam (inverted) of twice the length. If that curvature is acceptable for the simple span it will usually be OK for the cantilever, barring other issues.
Jim Carey, P.E.
J&G Steel Corp.
- Prev by Subject: Re: Deflection Criteria
- Next by Subject: Re: Deflection Criteria
- Previous by thread: RE: Deflection Criteria
- Next by thread: Re: Deflection Criteria