Ontario code changes [was Job Opportunity - Dayton, OH]

> From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>
> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> Subject: Re: Job Opportunity - Dayton, OH
>
> I have heard that applications for building permits are
> down by up to 50%since 1 Jan 06, due mostly to the new
> regulatory regime.
> Gary

I wonder how much of this is engineered product vs residential/small
buildings where the designers are usually knowledgeable in a more narrow
portion of the code. One small building designer that I met was writing
the test for the 3rd time because it covers areas in which he does not
practice. One residential designer that I know is being flooded with
work because he has his registrations - can't produce fast enough.

>From the gov't side, I've had my work returned from 2 municipalities,
now. I did not meet their new, unique documentation requirements. I
believe that they are struggling and looking for any reason to push
applicants back and make it look like the Arch's and Eng's are to blame.
Right or wrong, the owner sees us as the bad guys.

Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International