Re: Deflection Criteria

There seems to be a mistaken impression that the
deflection criteria of L/240 is related to curvature.
If we wanted to control the curvature the criteria
would be based on L*L.  For bending members L/240
simply places a limit on the slope at the end of a
simply supported beam.  This can be seen if you
differentiate the equation for the deflection of a
beam.

The code criteria seems to "work" for typical spans,
but is lacking in rigor.

Mark Gilligan