From: "Carter, Charlie" <carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:57 PM
Subject: RE: Tension load on AISC Framed Beam Connection

Rand Holtham wrote:
When determining the adequacy of an AISC standard double
clip angle (framed beam) connections....is prying action
due to axial tension considered as in hanger-type
connections as in 4-89 (AISC ASD-89) or is this
mixing apples and oranges.

Yes, when a tension load is present, prying action applies to the design
of double angles. But, there is then the concern that the angles sized
for the tension load and prying action should not get too thick for the
gage such that they will no longer be able to flex to accommodate the
simple beam rotation.

If you are using the workable gages listed in the AISC Manual and the
angle thickness does not exceed 5/8 in., the angles are still flexible
enough. If you have thicker angles or different gages, you can check
that adequate flexibility exists with procedures given in Part 9 of the
13th Edition AISC Manual. These procedures are the same ones used to
justify the 5/8 in. for the workable gages we list.

Charlie