RE: Tension load on AISC Framed Beam Connection

>Ken Peoples wrote:
> Charlie,
> I can't seem to find the procedure in
> part 9 of the 13th edition AISC Manual
> that checks for adequate flexibility in
> the thickness of the angles in
> double angle shear connections.  Under
> the "Rotational Ductility" section on
> pg 9-13, there is a procedure to check
> for rotational ductility in tee shear
> connection although, it only sizes the
> welds, bolts, and stem of the tee,
> not the flange of the tee which is the
> dimension associated with prying vs.
> flexibility issue.

That's the one. It can be applied to double angles just like it is
applied to a tee shear connection.

Remember with prying action it is rarely the fitting that is critical --
the fitting deformation is increasing the force in bolts. But then, once
you make the assembly work for the loads, you have to answer the
question of whether the fitting can still flex. To do that, turn the
procedure around. That is, make sure that the d_sub_b, T_sub_f, b, and L
satisfy the relationship in the equation on page 9-14. If it does, there
will be enough flexibility in the assembly so as not to preclude the
simple beam action. Welded connections can be checked using the
relationship on page 9-13.

Charlie