Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Liability working with the uninsured (was: Residential Architectural Requirements)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Good point, Bob.


I wonder though, how the non-structural liability risk is distributed if the architect is uninsured but the structural engineer is insured. I have a couple of good clients (good is defined here as regular work with good fees) who are uninsured architects. My E&O broker has cautioned me about contracting with them, but then again my broker isn’t accountable to my boss.




T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.


Consulting Structural Engineers
V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Freeman [mailto:robert.freeman(--nospam--at)]
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:18 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Residential Architectural Requirements


Bill and Nels:


Wow.  I enjoy reading your posts to this list.


May I add a thought?


Liability insurance is also a huge issue on this topic.  When a licensed professional (insured) is working with an unlicensed consultant (uninsured) there is also a huge liability insurance issue.  I think the issue with the state board could be minor in comparison. 


As you know, in a loss situation, the uninsured, unlicensed consultant basically is ignored, and the insured, licensed professional usually becomes the sole target for someone who may have a claim.  This type of project is worthy of declining (before getting started).


With Joy and Hope,

Bob Freeman, Architect, Structural Designer

Integrated Design Services, Inc.

(949) 387-8500 x115