Re: Pakistan Building Code & Structural Engineers

Harold

Yes and No.
There is no general building code applicable in all parts of the country.
Karachi, which has a relatively strong Building Control Authority, expects
designs based on UBC 97 with zone 2B parameters. Most cities do not have any
prescribed structural requirements, except that the building plans be signed
by a registered engineer. Since most major consulting offices are based in
Karachi, and engineers are used to UBC-97, it gets used a lot.

There are efforts to introduce a wider Building Code, but these are at a
very early stage. Some interim measures are being taken in the Federal
Capital and earth-quake affected areas. Rudimentary seismic maps have
existed for a long time and are recognized by the engineering community in
general. Some proposed Building Codes exist, but none has been made part of
a Federal law.

Pakistan Engineering Council controls engineering activity in the country.
All structural engineers need a license from them. This is usually awarded
after seven years of practise under a licensed engineer, without any tests.
Some cities (e.g. Karachi) require registration. This consists of PEC
registration plus interview with a board that meets about twice a year to
award license to practise in Karachi limits.

HTH