RE: Traffic Railing post loads

From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 2:01 PM
To: seaint
Subject: Traffic Railing post loads

I have just inherited a problem which is to check the post base connection at the post supporting traffic railing.  I’m not a bridge engineer and haven’t looked at this sort of thing for quite some time.  But, none the less it is now my problem.  Anyway, the way I read the ASHTO spec. (our version is 1996) you have to put the 10 kip vehicle load at each post.  My boss suggests that section 2.7.1.3.3 would allow you to distribute 5 kips over 4 posts instead of the 10 kips to one post.

It’s been a L-O-O-O-O-O-NG time, but IIRC, that “distributed over several posts” thing is only for systems designed to act in concert, such as these fancy-schmancy “energy dissipation” systems they put on secondary highways here in Texas (what have the railroad ties ‘n such tied together wit’ a steel cable).