From: David Smith [mailto:smith1129(--nospam--at)charter.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Traffic Railing post loads

Joe:

The distribution over four posts is for "longitudinal" loads not "transverse".

You can distribute the transverse force over a five foot length of concrete barrier wall.

The specs are pretty clear on transverse loads.  Don't skimp on the base.  We just had a case where a pickup truck was saved from going off of a bridge by the heavy base anchorage.  As it was, the hooked anchor bolts actually straightened out and almost came completely out of the concrete.

Dave Smith

Smith Associates

Gainesville, GA