From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: March 28, 2006 1:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: A325 Anchor rods?

ASTM A325 is a bolt specification and not a bolt MATERIAL specification.  As

such it is limited to a maximum diameter of 1 1/2 inch and manufacturers
will make them up to a maximum of 6 inches in length unless there is a
special order.

A325 bolts are manufactured to the dimensions in ANSI  B18.2.1 and as such
will only have a maximum thread length of 2.25 inches for a 1 1/2 inch
diameter bolt.  This, too, is generally inadequate for structural anchor rod

purposes.  An A325 T bolt can be specified which will have threads along the

entire shaft, but it is generally a special order.

I have heard of longer "A325" bolts, but the manufacturers will hot head the

bolts which is not a good thing to do for an anchor rod in tension.  The
process creates a weak point at the head to shaft intersection.

Unfortunately specifying A325 anchor bolts is a very common error on the
part of engineers.

Some years ago I observed that one of the tallest buildings in Los Angeles
had 4 inch diameter A325 anchor bolts specified.  It is a common error.

In answer to your specific questions:
>Is A325 another valid option for anchor rods? No
>Have I just learned something new? No
>Have you come across this specification for anchor
>rods any time in the past? Unfortunately yes.

Feel free to forward my e-mail to the structural engineer.  You just saved
him from a lurking lawyer just waiting to pounce.

Regards,
Harold Sprague