Re: Traffic Railing post loads

I don't doubt it, but I wonder if it was like the "standard" overpass in Texas, reported in ENR a while back, where a freeway truck hit one concrete column, which precipitated the collapse of the whole overpass.  Standard, or substandard?

Ralph

In a message dated 3/28/06 8:48:48 PM, smith1129(--nospam--at)charter.net writes:
It was a D.O.T. standard.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: smith1129(--nospam--at)charter.net ; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: Traffic Railing post loads

Just a pickup truck, wow!  What if it had been a loaded transit mix truck?  Sounds like a pretty marginally-inadequate design to me.

Ralph

In a message dated 3/28/06 3:19:09 PM,
smith1129(--nospam--at)charter.net writes:

Don't skimp on the base.  We just had a case where a pickup truck was saved from going off of a bridge by the heavy base anchorage.  As it was, the hooked anchor bolts actually straightened out and almost came completely out of the concrete.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.