RE: Deflection Criteria

If you want a code clarification look at Table 1604.3 footnote ‘i’ in the 2003 IBC.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Coronado [mailto:jcse(--nospam--at)flash.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:02 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Deflection Criteria

Hi Bhairavi,

No further clarification in the Building Code is needed.  The additional provisions now in the IBC are redundant.

The deflected shape of a cantilever is that of half of an inverted simply supported beam.  Since the intent is to allow for a deflection of L/240 for the simply supported condition, that deflection equates to L/120 of the half span of the simply supported beam, or for the full span of a cantilever beam, whichever condition you may have.

Good luck,

Jeff Coronado, S.E.

West Covina, CA