Re: Pipe Supports (Tee type)

I am not aware of any such limitation. Any structure should be strong enough to support the imposed loads and the deflection should satisfy serviceability requirements. Nothing wrong in using a cantilever which satisfies these two criteria. Beyond a certain height, however, a stanchion might become more economical, and this threshold will have to be worked out on a case by case basis. I recall a project in which I designed a trussed tower to support a single 36" pipe. The pipe was some 35 feet above ground level.

Rajendran

Bhavin Shah <bhavin.design(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

This is regarding design of Pipe Stanchions (Steel structure)
supporting heavy pipes at certain elevations.

For supporting the individual pipes, generally Tee type (cantilever
column) of Pipe Stanchions are used. As the stanchions are flexible in
both the directions, lateral deflection at the top of the stanchion
may be quite high as compared to the pipe displacement. Hence, are
there any limits or general guidelines (say above 7.0m) that above the
particular height Frame type of stanchion should be used.

Thanks,

Bhavin Shah

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org