Re: IRC 2006 anchor bolts!!!

Well, the 10' walls will make lots of contractors happy. They can now do their 10' walls without my drawings that put the backfill soil requirements in bold.  Now they can just grab the GW/GP design out of the code book and backfill with CH like they do on the shorter walls ;-)

It will be a few years before I have to think about this (VA is usually 3-4 years behind the release), but it's good to know what's on the horizon.
Jordan
Jim Wilson wrote:
I haven't read into the design aspect or checked the numbers, but the concrete wall tables are at least now separated from the masonry tables.  There are options for plain concrete foundation walls up to 10ft tall.

The tables now list many more wall height/backfill combinations, including the 10ft wall option.

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
That's quite interesting. I haven't gotten my 2006 yet (signed up with
ICC this year so I could get my free copy!), but I suppose that's one
step towards making the prescriptive standards match the engineering. I
routinely require AB spacings of 24" (or less, depending on the
geometry) for the tops of tall basement walls. If I get to count the top
as a pinned connection, it better be able to take at least the
fixed/pinned load (and distribute it to the perp. walls via the diaphragm).

I don't suppose they changed the basement wall vertical reinforcement
spacing to comply with ACI318, did they?

Jordan