Re: R-Factors Coldform hat sections

> From: "Roy Harrison" <ro35984(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au>

> Does anyone have R-factor values for coldformed hat-section purlins using a
> flange-to-flange type connection.
>
> We only have C/Z sections published using a welded cleat connection.

> Roy Harrison & Associates
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> Adelaide  -  South Australia

I'm not clear on your description or the reference to welded cleat.

North American Cold Formed Standard? R for bending with one flange
restrained? The values in the table were developed by test. Your hat
section probably does not suffer from the same L-T buckling sensitivity
as a C/Z with one flange restrained by attached panel so this
simplified, reduction approach may be irrelevent.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International