RE: Virtual Desgin Office?

From: Avicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:54 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Virtual Desgin Office?

I'm going to be on a cobtarct for the next few weeks and I want access to my computer during that time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on software available that will allow me to have full operating access to my base computer while on the road.

Yes. Recently I began using the Remote Desktop feature that is built-in to Windows. I believe it comes already installed on Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Media Center Edition. And IIRC, it can be installed from a “free download” in Windows XP Home.

In fact, I use this not only on the road, but when working at home. I just log onto our corporate network via VPN, then use the Remote Desktop Client to log onto my computer here in my office from my home system, and there’s my desktop. It’s essentially like using a remote X Window server (like Exceed or LabF, e.g.) to remotely log onto a graphical desktop on a *NIX system “back in the day.” Except this is all proprietary Microsoft, of course. (“Standards? We don’ need no steenkin’ STANDARDS!”)

All the processing is done on the host computer, and all the client computer does is process the graphic display. It even works (albeit slowly) via dial-up, but I would heartily recommend at LEAST a DSL connection.

More info here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx