Re: phi in both sides of formula 14-1

I have never liked that usage but since it does't
affect me (Canada) I never had cause to comment.
Here (where Wyoming looks balmy, David),the left hand
side of our equations uses M(Sub)r, V(Sub)r, etc,
indicating the resistance of the member.  I much prefer
ours but it really is a matter of what you are used to.
I could see someone like Eugenio making the assumption
that it is part of an algebraic equation, as that was
the same  assumption I made when I first saw a US code
with that content.
Gary