RE: Who decides top of concrete level?

Escalate the matter - have the GC or the fabrication shop that
outsourced their detailing pound the phones to obtain the required
information.

-OR-

Have the EOR verify your decision on the shop drawing submittals - cloud
all of the questionable areas.

It isn't clear why the steel detailer would care about the elevation of
the slab on grade below the first floor.  If the bottom of the column
elevations have been designated, then why should you care about the
elevation of the final grade below the building or are the beams to bear
on the stem wall?

M.