From: Mark Urback, P.E. [mailto:murback(--nospam--at)ehrainc.com]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 11:30 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Inverted Key vs Starter Wall

Our standard detail for a wastewater tank wall is to provide a starter =
wall on the slab with a key and PVC waterstop in the joint.  The =
contractor has proposed an inverted key using 1x4 form attached to the =
inside of the vertical rebar with a PVC waterstop at the top of the key. =
My concern with this method is that the base of the key is at the =
slab/wall interface.  If the key were to crack at the slab (where the =
bottom of the joint is located), there would be a potential water path =
because the water stop would be above the crack.  Has anyone used the =
inverted key and have there been any problems?

=20