RE: Who decides top of concrete level?

Title: Message
Vish, I think you need to implicate your client.  They are the ones with whom you have contracted to serve.  They presumably have made an assumption on base-plate and TOC levels when they calculated their price.  Then they need to implicate their client, who may be the GC, who has also probably assumed TOC levels during the bid preparation.  The GC should also be preparing a RFI to verify levels with the EOR.  (What do you call these things - acronyms ?)

Unless this is a cost-plus no-planning contract and no-one has planned that far yet.

Kevin

G Vishwanath <gvshwnth(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Who decides top of concrete Level?

We are detailing an apartment building.
There is a floor supported on steel beams very close
to the base plate level of the columns.
Neither the bottom of base plate level nor top of
concrete level is explicitly indicated.
Instead a detail in the Structural dwg indicates the
top of concrete level as "minimum 6" below the bottom
flange of the steel beams.

This should have been easy.

Except that the beams vary in depth from a minimum of
14" to a maximum of 30"
So what do we do?
Consider the deepest of them (30") and keep the the
top of concrete level at 36" uniformly for all?
Or go hopping all over the place and have different
top of concrete levels for each case?
We sent an rfi requesting the engineer to indicate the
top of concrete levels to be considered.
The engineer answers our rfi by simply quoting the
detail that we have already seen and are not satisfied
with.

Since when is the top of concrete level being decided
by the steel detailer.
Indicating minimum 6" passes the buck to us.
How will the foundation construction be done?
Will they refer to steel dwgs?

At some other places the engineer says "keep top of
concrete at least 4" below sidewalk level. Coordinate
with Arch dwgs"

What does at least 4" mean?
Again the buck is being passed on to us?

We looked up the Arch dwgs.
An elevation of the building is shown.
The ground level varies haphazardly.
The slopes are not uniform and vary along the length
of the building.
The ground slope is also not uniform.
Are we to decide the sidewalk levels from this ?

I have misgivings about this project.
Any experiences to share?
Any opinions or advice is welcome.
Regards