RE: Project Management

Mr. Djohan:

This depends quite a lot on the character of these projects, but I have really found PM software tools like MS Project to be invaluable. Once you get your scheduling set up, with “work packages” defined and in place, it helps you track time, money and resources (esp. humans) pretty well.

I think any tool like this can be a “crutch,” prompting you to spend more time with “faux schedules” that don’t reflect reality, but if used correctly it can be very beneficial.

From: hadiprawira djohan [mailto:hadiprawira(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 1:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Project Management

Fellow Engineers,

I am juggling more than eight different projects at this moment, and start loosing control.

I have 2 engineers assisting me and it is not enough. I know that I need to get more help, and in the same time I want to evaluate and to improve my style of management.

I wonder if anyone had setup a management system (spreadsheet) for structural design project, i.e. time table, design check list, construction check list, scheduling, etc.

I would love to hear any tips from those who've been out there doing project management.

Thank you.

Djohan, P.E. - N.Y.