Please excuse my ignorance (Was: Who decides top of concrete level?)

I am a young engineer and can not see why this is not the Arch's.
responsibility. Most projects I have worked on are more or less
design-bid-build and the Arch. represents the owner providing CM type of
services. I have worked with some Arch's. who provide this type of info,
along with existing/finished grades, as these do affect construction costs.
The Arch has "haphazardly" shown the ground level. Is this not the problem?

I would appreciate any advice as I have done this type of work on projects
where no Arch. was present. I found the coordination to be time consuming
and would rather not be taken advantage of.

Michel Blangy, P.E.