Re: Who decides top of concrete level?

Hello Vishwanath:

How are you doing?  Your mail had ended up in the Bulk mail and I got hold
of it today.  I also saw the postings by other members in the SEAINT
website.  I am responding to you only.

Normally TOC is given by the engineer based on coordination with the
architect.  Most of the time this gets messed up due to improper
communication.  The top of all the members have to be verified by the
Architect since he has items above it like insulation etc.

I try to give it but sometimes have to provide guidelines to calculate.  I
have a project where the wall is diagonal to the roof.  The roof is metal
deck with steel open web joist.  The slope varies.  So I give the top of the
ridge beam and then indicate that the concrete wall slopes.  If I were to
detail it then it would take me 15 sections which the steel detailer (like
you) would be producing.  The intent is same and I feel it is better drawn
by the detailer and corrected by the A&E.

It can be worked out with good communication with the engineer and
architect.

If I was doing your job, I would just draw a section at the problem
locations and send out a RFI for connection detailing.  You can have a
pocket in the wall.  if the architect has a problem with the pocket he will
fix it.

I hope I have been helpful

Aswin