RE: Forensic Engineers (Arizona)

From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:54 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Forensic Engineers (Arizona)

In investigating it further, it turns out that the issue is there is a move to require those representing themselves as "forensic experts"  to be registered (as something) in Arizona.

Specifically, this is directed to those doing the "just before the statute of limitations runs out"  condo inspections.

My personal feeling is that they should be registered as something (engineer, architect, maybe even home inspector),  but there doesn't seem to be a need to have them registered in the state they are doing work.

Registration anywhere sets a minimum bar.  The other side's lawyer should be able to discredit the testimony of an expert that is clearly not qualified based on his or her resume.

Similarly, here in Texas they created a “Wind Insurance” pool, analogous to flood insurance available at the Federal level, for those who wish to insure their homes against wind damage in the coastal areas of the state where often the cost of private insurance is prohibitive.

In order to qualify, one’s building—residential or commercial—must be built to a “special” building code put together by the state (in rather haphazard fashion, but htat’s my opinion), and inspected and “passed off” by an inspector certified by the state’s department of insurance.

The problem I have with it is, this “certification” is independent of the state’s licensure laws for engineers. In essence, they’re saying that they have a separate standard for qualification for this sort of inspection, yet one of the criteria is licensure as a P.E. Yet the remaining criteria are simply related to registering with the state and paying a fee. No other testing, no other technical qualification.

To me, if you’re a P.E., you’re already qualified. We already have one of the highest—if not THE highest—fees for renewal of licensure in the U.S. It’s just another stream of revenue for the state.

Just keep this in mind when you see stuff like what you describe in Arizona. Often, public safety and welfare has little or nothing to do with it.