Welding Failures

I am having a heated argument with a welder on welding symbols.  It is a
long story but basically my advise is if there is any doubt don't just weld
it check with the engineer.

To prove my point I would like to find reference to major failure caused by
poor welding practice or misunderstanding the welding symbols.

Can anyone refer me to articles or references on this subject?

Thanks

James A. Sadler, SE
Jasco Pacific, Inc.
550-D Industrial Way