Re: Weld Symbols

   James,
No failure, but I had just come from nuclear power plants to precast concrete and for a stressing abutment I called out a full penetration weld (as people called them then) on a 1" thick plate. When the parts arrived, I was asked if I wanted to look at them. The local fabricator had provided about a 1/8" fillet instead of the CJP on the detail. So for the past twenty years, I have called out the bevel whenever I call out a groove weld. The weld symbol is correct, and I duplicate it in a sketch because I never know when I'll get another welder that does not know how to read symbols.
   James Getaz
   Winchester, Virginia