Re: R-Factors Coldform hat sections

> From: "Roy Harrison" <ro35984(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au>

> How would you allow for the torsional restraint provided by the sheeting
> attached to the tension face, in a rigorous analysis using Excel?

Use the analysis calcs from the standard for continuous lateral bracing
with approriate torsional bracing - you could use Excel to perform this
analysis. That's what CFS is doing. Then test to ensure that your
assumptions are valid.

> The Australian code AS4600 "Cold-formed Steel Structures" is based on =
> the extensive work that has gone into the development of the AISI LRFD
> Specification. =20

> On the other hand there are a number of manufacturers supplying a
> similar product with published selection tables, purportedly based on
> AS4600.

Does the AS4600 require confirmation testing outside the explicit
limitations of the defined application of the R-factor? If so, the
manufacturer must have done this to be in compliance with the standard.
I am aware of manufacturers here who provide similar tables or supply
system components with no compliance testing. The product may still be
adequate, but statements of compliance are stretching professional
ethical limits.

> In view of the number of years this form of member has been in the
> marketplace, both here and overseas, I am trying to track down any
> non-proprietary research data that has been published.

Try contacting:

Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute
www.cssbi.ca

The University of Waterloo Cold Formed Steel Research Group
http://www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/CCFSRG/Default.htm

Centre for Cold-Formed Steel Structures at University of Missouri-Rolla
http://campus.umr.edu/ccfss/

Thin Walled Structures Research Group - Johns-Hopkins University
http://www.ce.jhu.edu/bschafer/

The Structural Stability Research Council does not concentrate on cold
formed steel but has some published proceedings that may cover your
topic.
http://campus.umr.edu/ssrc/

Of course, the AISI may be able to provide some guidance as well.
http://www.steel.org/

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International