From: "Robert Kazanjy" <rkazanjy(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Hyatt Regency
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 11:02:56 -0700

Adrew-

My understanding of the KC failure is the same; in the original design the
hanger rods were supposed to take the entire load with each floor level
system only taking that floor level load.

For constructablility, separate hanger rod sections were substituted such
that the top floor level system took it's own load AND the load from below.

The welded channel sections that made up the floor level details were not
originally meant to be part of the series load path.

When the overall design concept change was made, the channel detail was not
a strengthened to take increased localized load.

A detail that was adequate for it's own load failed under the increased
series load

at least that's what I recall of the info I've read about the failure.

cheers
Bob