"Comprehensive Report on Structural Failure Available to the Public" (WAS: Hyatt Regency)

Someone asked if there was a publicly-available report on the famous KC
Regency Hyatt failure on the Internet or elsewhere.

The primary reason that you will typically not find a comprehensive,
all-inclusive "failure report" of a structure where criminal activity is
absent, is the litigation process.

First of all, you have MULITIPLE experts involved, as many (at least) as
there are litigants. Each "expert" is likely to come up with his or her
version of what happened, not least because they represent a certain
point of view-that of their ultimate client. If an expert provides their
client (or rather, the client's attorney) with a version of events that
is not likely to help the client's case, that report will almost
certainly never see the light of day. While the nature of engineers is
not to advocate for a particular point of view, that is PRECISELY the
nature of the legal profession. And it should never be doubted that the
legal professional is running things. The ultimate objective is to make
sure the attorney's client is seen in the best light possible.

Last of all, the great majority of such cases are settled out-of-court,
and the typical settlement invariably includes some provision that the
litigant, even if he has to pay "damages," accepts no culpability (he is
only trying to save the expense of further litigation, or at least
that's the fig-leaf reason given) and any information that might
indicate culpability is afterward suppressed as part of the settlement.

I suspect that there is a lot of interesting information that was
generated regarding the KC Regency Hyatt. I would be willing to wager,
however, that such information will never be revealed until a couple of
generations of humanity has passed away, if then.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Senior Associate
mailto:bpolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com
WJE
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Engineers I Architects I Material Scientists
10235 West Little York, Suite 245
Houston, Texas 77040
P: 832-467-2177 F: 832-467-2178
http://www <blocked::http://www/> .wje.com

 <<Polhemus, Bill.vcf>>
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Polhemus;Bill
FN:Polhemus, Bill
ORG:WJE;Houston
TEL;WORK;VOICE:x109
ADR;WORK:;Houston
LABEL;WORK:Houston
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com
REV:20060213T165851Z
END:VCARD