From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Welding Failures
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:26:05 -0400

Harold,
I read somewhere once that if there had been internal
stiffeners in the built-up tube that the welds might
not have mattered so much and the tubes probably would
not have failed.  That's my recollection, but it makes
some sense.  I always get comments that you can't weld
stiffeners inside HSS but you can if you use a little
ingenuity. In the Hyatt case, it would have been
relatively simple.
Gary