Re: Welding Failures [subcategory: old riveters]

In a message dated 4/12/06 12:10:52 PM, spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com writes:
I am not old enough to have used real structural rivets.

Harold, you young whippersnapper!  I'm not old enough to have "used" real structural rivets, but I am old enough--or the Corps of Engineers or their railroad-client was conservative enough--that my first engineering job included designing a riveted plate girder railroad bridge in Montana.  I assume it was built, since Libby Dam was built.  I've never seen it and probably never will, but I proudly point to it as being my only riveted design.  :)

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA