Re: Welding Failures [subcategory: old riveters]

You got me. I have analyzed old riveted structures, but never designed one. I have also never intentionally snapped a whipper.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org, spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Welding Failures [subcategory:  old riveters]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:48:51 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/06 12:10:52 PM, spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com writes:
> I am not old enough to have used real structural rivets.

Harold, you young whippersnapper!   I'm not old enough to have "used" real
structural rivets, but I am old enough--or the Corps of Engineers or their
railroad-client was conservative enough--that my first engineering job included designing a riveted plate girder railroad bridge in Montana. I assume it was built, since Libby Dam was built. I've never seen it and probably never will,
but I proudly point to it as being my only riveted design.   :)

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA