RE: Welding Failures

            Harold Sprague, the young buck who never snapped a whipper, wrote:

            “OK.  Going further back into my history when I was a welder, we would take a

piece of welding rod and weld it to a fitted stiffener.  We would slide the stiffener into the end of the HSS (modern lingo) and hold it in place while we welded it inside of the HSS.  We would use 2 welding stick electrodes (welded end to end to make a 2' electrode) and we could weld inside the HSS about 8 or 10 inches from the end fairly easily.  Obviously they were one sided fillet welds, or partial pen welds if we bevel ground the stiffener edges.  Old ironworkers taught me that trick.”

            Harold,

                        I’ve had welders tell me of doing such things – I’ve never watched. And I’ve known welders that could surely lay a perfect bead that way. But would you call out something like that? Where do you draw the line between things that can be done and things that every certified welder will likely do well every time (just like licensed engineers can create dumb designs)?

            Thank you,

            Jim Getaz

            Winchester, Virginia