Re: Welding Failures

On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:06 AM, Jim Getaz wrote:

Where do you draw the line between things that can be done and things that every certified welder will likely do well every time (just like licensed engineers can create dumb designs)?
I've seen things like this myself, and I'm convinced that the only way is to get to know the welders first. Never call out anything squirrelly on a print that would be going out to the lowest bidder and just hope the guy knows what to do. But if you're doing the work in-house, or with a fabricator you know, it never hurts to drop in and ask how they'd handle a detail like that, and whether you could watch when they did it. You can get a pretty good feel from a couple of visits whether you can trust someone to know his limitations. I've always found shop visits to be well worth the time, and I've always learned something useful from chatting with the guys who do the work.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/