Pile Interconnection (CBC & IBC)

I'm reviewing a single family project that piles do not have any interconnection grade beam at the "grade level".

The piles are 24" Dia. and continue to 2nd floor where they pick up suspended concrete slab and supporting concrete beams.
These concrete columns (or I should say piles) are above grade about 20 feet and embedded into the bedrock about 15 feet.

When I asked the designer about the "interconnection" of the piles (per CBC 1807.2) he commented that the concrete beams at 2 nd floor level (20 feet higher than grade level) would serve the same propose.

My question is: Does this condition fulfill the propose of the code?
Has anyone has direct experience in this regard?
I appreciate your comment.

Regards

Casey (Khashayar) Hemmatyar, PE

California