RE: Pile Interconnection (CBC & IBC)

I agree with Paul, I would use tie beams or restraing membrane.

The main reason for interconnecting pile heads is to restrain the moments
induced by eccentricities resulting from the practical limits of
installation.  Some specifications recommend 3" minimum. For a heavily
loaded column this may be a considerable moment.  If the tie/ground beam
system is not present then the superstructure has to accommodate the
resulting moment whether the soil is hard or not, consolidation will occur.

Alternatively I have seen a full FE analysis performed for over water
pumping platforms where the cantilever columns (pylons) and soil mass
interaction has been modelled to assess the lateral soil restraint.  For a
small job the tie beams are a quicker and more economical solution.

Roy Harrison

Roy Harrison & Associates
Consulting Structural Engineers
Adelaide - South Australia