RE: Porch roofs replacement at brick veneer

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but most 100 yr old homes are not veneer on stud, if the brick is mulit-wythe you may bear on it and attach to it with epoxy anchors. Otherwise I use a detail where a five inch thick piece of p.t. wood is attached with lags to the back up stud, this will provide an attachment point for a ledger, lags are not the best for load capacity and you don't know what wood your attaching to so use "engineering judgment" to determine spacing.

Jeff Fertich, PE

From: "Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Porch roofs replacement at brick veneer
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:07:55 -0400

I'm curious what others have done for replacing damaged porch roofs where the original porch roof was supported on brick veneer (rafters/joists set in pockets in the 4" brick). I've got a fire damage case on a 100+/- y.o. structure, and the most of the porch roof is charcoal. I've got a set of details which extend support from the interior walls via steel brackets to a new ledger, with the new weight and eccentricity accounted for, along with getting the wall-side wind loads back into the existing walls/sheathing as well, but it just seems like a royal pita from a construction standpoint. Anyone have a magic bullet for such supports? Because this is in an historic district, I can't change the facade, so I can't add posts at the house and use a portal frame in the roof space to take the moment.

--
Jordan