Re: Porch roofs replacement at brick veneer

It was funny that your request for information was exactly what i was working on at the time. I have a contractor asking for a typical detail he can use on the next couple of new constructions with brick veneer. I think we will be going with a 5x5 x 10" long tube that can be through bolted to a stud pack. then we start talking about flashing this, or the PT block for that matter, it gets messy. These are hgih end houses that can bear the expense but it is import to get this planned in the early construction, usually i have to come up with something after the brick has be started.

From: "Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Porch roofs replacement at brick veneer
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:35:35 -0400

Thanks for your reply.

In this case I've probably overstated the age - it may only be 85 years old (1921, possibly). I'm using something similar to what you describe. I had considered steel brackets, but then we'd have to cut through the sheathing, and I'm not certain that the existing rafters line up with the studs. I ended up going with a PT block after setting the job down for a few days and then re-looking at what I had to work with. I'm putting in new studs at the critical locations, and the assembly is fairly straight forward since the whole house has been demoed back to the framing members.

Jordan

Jeffrey Fertich wrote:

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but most 100 yr old homes are not veneer on stud, if the brick is mulit-wythe you may bear on it and attach to it with epoxy anchors. Otherwise I use a detail where a five inch thick piece of p.t. wood is attached with lags to the back up stud, this will provide an attachment point for a ledger, lags are not the best for load capacity and you don't know what wood your attaching to so use "engineering judgment" to determine spacing.

Jeff Fertich, PE