Re: Building on Fault Lines

Gail,

I do not think there are actual ordinance forbidding where you can and can not build.  However the California Building Code (essentially the 1997 UBC) requires bump factors (Na and Nv) on the seismic base shear if you are located with 10 and 15 kilometers from a fault.  We also have in California the Alquist-Priolo act which defines special seismic study zones where additional and more in depth geotechnical research is required.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com
04/18/2006 05:25 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Building on Fault Lines

What restrictions do California (and other states) have as far as building near fault zones?

I.e.  is there a minimum required distance through the nominal fault line?

Is there a restriction on the type of construction within a certain distance of the fault line?  I.e. you can't build a nuclear reactor on top of a known fault line?

When did restrictions start going into place?

When existing buildings are renovated / converted does there distance to a fault line become an issue?

What document / code are there requirements/restrictions contained in?

At what level of government (city / county / state) is this type of restriction promulgated?

Gail Kelley

the views of the company.