RE: Request for Joist Load Table

From: Ashraf Manjappara [mailto:ashraf.manjappara(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Request for Joist Load Table

Hello David,

Thanks for the info. I am doing the design of building which has the LH series joist at the roof which supports steel deck roof.

The maximum roof span is 22m and the building is 100mx76m in plan. I am modeling the building in STAAD and I am using beam elements to model joist in STAAD model. Hence if you can give me a reference from which I can get the moment of inertia and other properties of joist that would be helpful for me.

regards

Ashraf

Ashraf, it would be more advantageous for you to just measure the joist elements yourself rather than rely on documents. I have gone out many times with a tape, a micrometer and a scissor-lift, and just measured the size and spacing of the joist chords and web members myself. It lends confidence that your design is appropriate if you know that you are modeling something close to reality, rather than relying on what someone TOLD you.

Interestingly, the building code references to “existing structures” instruct us to do just that.