RE: Sx -Zx Strength-Deflection Tables 3-2 AISC Manual

From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Sx -Zx Strength-Deflection Tables 3-2 AISC Manual

The Manual Committee will consider your suggestion. In the meantime, and since the shape factor for W-shapes ranges only from 1.1 to 1.3, you could probably get a very close and quick estimate of S from Table 3-2 by dividing Z by 1.2. And you can do the same thing to get 0.9FySx from phiMpx, which is simply 0.9FyZx for all but a handful of beams.

Makes me wonder how long until we see truly “interactive” manuals online, where we can sort or even insert information as we see fit.

A little “php” (with a database backend) can go a long way toward obtaining that.