RE: Reinforcing for Anchor Bolt Breakout

From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Reinforcing for Anchor Bolt Breakout

Are there any practical ways to reinforce a footing for concrete breakout of anchor bolts as defined in ACI appendix D, section 5.2?  If Break Out is the controlling factor in the design of the anchor, and I don’t want to design the footing thickness based on anchor bolts, what would be a reinforcing configuration to strengthen the breakout capacity?

I’m talking through my hat here, because I’m too lazy to go find the reference, but I seem to recall that any reinforcing area crossing the break-out boundary can be used. The steel should be adequately developed on either side of the break-out boundary.