From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Manufactured Home Foundation

In my experience, the HUD homes still must have perimeter foundation, but the
seismic forces are taken by "Seismic Jacks" located every so often on the
rails that support each modules. The perimeter concrete is essentially non
load bearing.

The perimeter foundation, as was explained to me, is mainly to close off the
crawlspace from pests and surface water. There are nominal ties/clips to this
foundation/stem wall.

Most of the recent ones I've done, are designed to UBC code because it gives
the home more value when being sold that greatly outpaces the additional cost
of building to UBC. On those, the permiter foundations are indeed structural.

hth,
-gm