RE: Reinforcing for Anchor Bolt Breakout

From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Reinforcing for Anchor Bolt Breakout

I thought ACI appendix D is meant for unreinforced concrete.  It seems logical that if the concrete has to pop out past horizontal reinforcement that the shear friction the horizontal reinforcement produces could be used to resist the pop out and that if the pop-out happens adjacent to vertical reinforcement that you could count on the strength of the steel developed above and below the pop-out to resist the pop-out.

I have not seen this is a design guide but I have seen engineers do it.

From the Scope (D.2.2) of ACI 318-05:

D.2.2 — This appendix applies to both cast-in anchors and post-installed anchors. Specialty inserts, through bolts, multiple anchors connected to a single steel plate at the embedded end of the anchors, adhesive or grouted anchors, and direct anchors such as powder or pneumatic actuated nails or bolts, are not included. Reinforcement used as part of the embedment shall be designed in accordance with other parts of this code.