From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Reinforcing for Anchor Bolt Breakout

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C664C5.B0DD8400

Thanks for the info.   I don't believe a hairpin in applicable here.
Concrete breakout is the tension shear cone pullout.  The ACI specifically
states hairpins are good for shear reinforcing but they don't give any
suggestions for tension breakout.  I don't see how a hairpin would help the
breakout failure.  I was considering thickening the footing at the anchor
bolts, extending the anchor bolts down below the bottom mat of footing
reinforcing and using the concept of shear friction reinforcing from the
bottom mat reinforcing to intercept the failure cone.  I would like to see
some printed literature stating this works first though.  I have heavily
loaded anchor bolts in tension.

Rich

 The "PIP STE05121 Anchor Bolt Design Guide" uses hairpins or additional
straight rebar next to the anchor bolts to do this.  PIP stands for Process
Industry Practices.  The guide is based on App D 318-02.

  _____