Re: FEMA 361 - Hurricane Shelters

Thanks, Bill.  On reflection I knew that.  Guess I was thinking of maximum hurricane forces.  Someone else mentioned 100 psf gross uplift, which seems reasonable, although I had imagined something much larger, like 1000 psf or ...

Ralph

In a message dated 4/26/06 6:52:23 AM, BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com writes:

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: FEMA 361 - Hurricane Shelters

Just out of curiosity, how much uplift does a structure receive in the eye of a hurricane?

Actually, there IS no uplift in the eye of a hurricane. The winds are dead-calm. The pressure is very low, but that doesn’t occur suddenly so that’s not a factor (and a few millibars don’t mean that much anyway).

Just watch out when the trailing eyewall passes over!