From: "Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>
To: "seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Admixtures for Concrete Clarifier Tank
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:06:19 -0700

I?m trying to finish the design and detailing for a circular concrete
clarifier tank for wastewater treatment.

I guess I would like to get a little verification for a couple of items.
The tank is in an area where there is no frost of freezing concerns,
therefore I am considering the following:

No calcium chloride admixtures

Maximum water/cement ratio .45 (ACI 350 table 4.2.2)

Minimum f?c= 4000psi (ACI 350 table 4.2.2)

Type II cement ( will ask that ?owner to provide soils evaluation of sulfate
exposure?)

¾? maximum aggregate (ACI 350 table 4.2.1 even though no frost problems)

5% air content (ACI 350 table 4.2.1 even though no frost problems)

4? maximum slump

Tank is not covered, therefore no protective coatings

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the use of fly ash?  I was not
going to spec. it, but if it is advantageous, what kind and how much?
Hopefully, that isn?t asking for too much information.  I need to do a
little more reading about fly ash.  ACI 350 seems to suggest the use (and
provides tables for % of weight of cementitious materials) of fly ash where
there is exposure to deicing chemicals, but there shouldn?t be any of that
in use here (Southwest desert).

I appreciate any help or other suggestions that may be given here.

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying